Laser Hair Reduction
Using the most advanced laser technology, this treatment is targeted at reducing unwanted hair growth in most skin types. Here at West End Plastic Surgery we use 2 different types of lasers, the Cutera Cool Glide and the Lumines LightSheer Duet.
The Cutera CoolGlide is an Nd:YAG laser hair reduction system all skin types and tones, from light to dark. Its unique design, longer wavelength, and innovative cooling design, allow extremely effective, safe and permanent results.
LightSheer Diode Laser Systems are clinically proven and highly regarded for providing safety, superior results and patient satisfaction.With 2 different leaser heads, we are able to attack those stubborn unwanted hairs with speed and comfort.
Paul G. Ruff IV
Personalized, compassionate patient care is the foundation of West End Plastic Surgery's philosophy. Our board-certified surgeon, Dr. Paul G. Ruff IV embraces innovative techniques to ensure our patients get the best treatments available.Meet Dr. Ruff Request a consultation
Pre and Post Treatment Instructions
Before your Laser Hair Reduction treatment, please be sure to follow these steps:
- For at least 3 weeks immediately prior to your first treatment, and during the remainder of your treatment package, please do not wax, tweeze, use depilatories, undergo electrolysis, or bleach the hair you are seeking to remove.
- Please shave the morning of or the night before your appointment. Men should come to appointment with the closest possible shave.
- Please inform use as soon as possible in advance of your treatment if you are taking any antibiotics.
- Please do not use any products containing Alpha or Beta Hydroxyl acids, Retinol or Retin A for at least 3-5 days prior to your treatments.
- It is recommended that patients have NO sun exposure (including tanning beds and sunless tanners) for 4-6 weeks prior to treatment. When out in the sun please wear sun screen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays. If you are unsure please feel free to ask a team member.
- If you have had sun exposure or have been tanning within the last 2 weeks, please call the office at (202) 785-4187 24 hours prior to treatment to avoid a cancellation fee.
- If you have a history of herpes in the area to be treated, we strongly recommend you take a prescribed anti-viral medication to decrease the risk of an outbreak after the treatment. We would be happy to provide you with a prescription, just ask one of our team members.
- In the days leading up to your treatment please try to keep well hydrated as hydrated skin is able to tolerate more light energy, making your treatments safer, but also more effective.
After your laser hair reduction treatment:
- Your skin may look completely normal, but some individuals it may look red and feel warm. This is normal and will subside of the next few hours.
- You should not feel any significant discomfort, heat, or pain. If you do, place a cool cloth or gel ice pack on the area, and continue to cool until the heat sensation subsides. Please call us if heat is significant or unrelenting.
- You may use an antihistamine cream (i.e. hydrocortisone 1%) should any itching occur. This may be immediate and could last up to 7 days.
- Please avoid excessive sun exposure for 2 weeks after treatment. Please use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher during the entire course of your treatment.
- Avoid hot water for 24 hours after treatment.
- Avoid all astringents and irritants (toners, glycolic, retinols, etc.) for the remainder of the day.
We're as thrilled with our patients' results as they are. Check out our before-and-after photo gallery and see for yourself the kind of work our talented surgeons do.