What is JUVÉDERM®?
JUVÉDERM® is an FDA approved injectable gel that is available West End Plastic Surgery in Washington, D.C. The smooth consistency of this filler helps to instantly restore your skin’s volume and smooth away facial wrinkles and folds such as your “smile lines” or “parentheses”.
Types of JUVÉDERM® Filler:
- VOLUX™ XC
- It's the first and only Hyaluronic Acid (HA) filler to receive U.S. FDA approval for improving moderate to severe loss of jawline definition. (Photo is after VOLUX treatment)
- Ultra XC
- It's an injectable gel that temporarily adds more fullness and plumps thin lips—whether your lips have thinned over time, or you simply want fuller lips. If you want the perfect pout, Ultra XC is specifically designed to smooth and plump the lips.
- ULTRA PLUS XC
- First approved by the FDA in 2006, JUVÉDERM® ULTRA PLUS XC corrects moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as the parentheses lines or "smile/laugh lines" around the nose and mouth, also known as nasolabial folds. JUVÉDERM® ULTRA PLUS XC is injected into areas of facial tissue where moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds occur to temporarily add volume to the skin, which may give the appearance of a smoother surface.
- VOLBELLA® XC
- JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® XC injectable gel is for injection into the lips for lip augmentation and for correction of perioral lines (lines around the mouth), often called lipstick lines, vertical lip lines, or lip wrinkles.
- VOLLURE® XC
- JUVÉDERM® VOLLURE® XC is injected into the areas of facial tissue where moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds occur, including the smile/laugh lines around the nose and mouth also known as nasolabial folds. JUVÉDERM® VOLLURE® XC is designed to temporarily correct facial wrinkles for a smoother appearance of the face.
- VOLUMA® XC
- As you age, the cheeks may flatten, and the skin may begin to sag. This is caused by a natural loss of volume in the cheek area, or what the experts call age-related midface volume loss. JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® XC is designed to add volume beneath the skin's surface, which provides lift and contour to the cheek area. It provides natural-looking and long-lasting results that last up to 2 years with optimal treatment.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® XC injectable gel is designed for deep injection for augmentation of the chin region to improve the chin profile. Adding volume to the chin area creates shape and definition. If adding shape to your chin is your goal, this filler is designed for deep injection to augment the region and create definition.
How Does JUVÉDERM® Treat Wrinkles?
JUVÉDERM® is made of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in your skin that helps to add volume and hydration. JUVÉDERM® injectable gel employs its unique manufacturing process to provide the highest concentration of cross-linked hyaluronic acid for long-lasting results. This advanced manufacturing process works to create a smooth consistency gel that flows easily into the skin and provides a smooth, natural look and feel. All other currently approved hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are made of granular consistency gels. JUVÉDERM® is the first hyaluronic acid dermal filler that has demonstrated its safety and effectiveness in persons of color.
Is BOTOX® Cosmetic or JUVÉDERM® Better?
When it comes to the JUVÉDERM® vs. BOTOX® Cosmetic debate, there’s no one-size-fits-all approach. Both can enhance your appearance and minimize signs of aging, but they work in very different ways.
JUVÉDERM® adds volume to smooth away fine lines and wrinkles. It can also enhance your existing features. If your primary goal is restoring sunken cheeks or plumping the lips, JUVÉDERM® is likely the better pick.
BOTOX® Cosmetic uses a protein derived from botulinum toxin to temporarily relax facial muscles and reduce the appearance of dynamic wrinkles. Treatment areas include the glabella lines between the brows (sometimes called 11s), deep creases on the forehead, tiny wrinkles around the lips (lipstick lines) or eyes (Crow’s feet), and creases on the neck.
Because there are unique benefits and limitations to both injectables, many of our patients choose to combine BOTOX® Cosmetic and JUVÉDERM® to get the aesthetic results they want.
We’re as thrilled with our patients’ results as they are. Check out our before-and-after photo gallery and see for yourself the kind of work our talented surgeons and nurses do.
What Areas Can JUVÉDERM® Treat?
JUVÉDERM® injectable gel temporarily adds volume to facial tissue and restores a smoother appearance to the face. By injecting JUVÉDERM® into the mid to deep dermis (below the outer layer of skin), the appearance of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds can be dramatically improved.
JUVÉDERM® VOLUX™ XC for Jawline Definition
Many factors contribute to how our jawline changes as we age, including loss of facial fat and genetic predispositions. JUVÉDERM® VOLUX™ XC, the latest product in the line of dermal fillers, is specially formulated to combat a loss of definition around the jaw. It’s also currently the only FDA-approved filler designed for this purpose.
If you want to contour your jawline and reduce the appearance of jowls, JUVÉDERM® VOLUX™ XC could be the perfect option. In a clinical study, 82% of participants who were treated with this dermal filler reported satisfaction with their lower face and jawline one year following treatment.
What To Expect During JUVÉDERM® Treatment
No anesthesia is required for your JUVÉDERM® treatment, although your doctor may numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream. The injection site will be determined by examining the appearance of the skin throughout your face and neck area. Your doctor will use an ultra-fine needle to inject JUVÉDERM® into those areas of your face that appear sunken or hollow. The entire procedure takes about 10 minutes and there is minimal discomfort during or after the procedure. Most patients compare the injection to the feeling of a pinprick.
Recovery After JUVÉDERM® Injections
Within the first 24 hours, you should avoid strenuous exercise, extensive sun or heat exposure, and alcoholic beverages. Exposure to any of the above may cause temporary redness, swelling, and/or itching at the injection sites. If there is swelling, you may need to place an ice pack over the swollen area. Be sure to report any redness and/or visible swelling that lasts for more than a few days or any other symptoms that cause you concern.
How Long Do JUVÉDERM® Results Last?
The unique formulation of JUVÉDERM® provides results that last up to 6 months or longer. Correction is temporary; therefore, touch-up injections, as well as repeat injections, are usually needed to maintain optimal corrections. Of course, results may vary and it is best to discuss your individual case with your doctor at West End Plastic Surgery during your initial consultation.
Lip Augmentation with JUVÉDERM®
Side Effects Of Injections
Most side effects are mild or moderate in nature, and their duration is short lasting (7 days or less). The most common side effects include, but are not limited to, temporary injections site reactions such as redness, pain/tenderness, firmness, swelling, lumps/bumps, bruising, itching, and discoloration. As with all skin injection procedures, there is a risk of infection.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in JUVÉDERM® injectable filler for treating wrinkles, contact West End Plastic Surgery. Call us at 202-785-4187 to schedule your consultation! Our practice serves Washington, D.C. and surrounding areas.