There is a reason injections of BOTOX Cosmetic are the most popular cosmetic procedure in the U.S. They’re extremely effective when administered by a trained, experienced injector. At West End Plastic Surgery in Washington, D.C., BOTOX injections are often combined with other non-surgical treatments, such as fillers, to provide complete facial rejuvenation.
What Is BOTOX?
BOTOX is a protein derived from botulinum toxin that is injected underneath skin in order to minimize or smooth out lines and wrinkles on the face. When low doses of BOTOX are used, it selectively weakens or relaxes facial muscles, giving the recipient a clean, smooth facial appearance.
Areas Treated With BOTOX
BOTOX can be used on virtually any area of the body. Areas that are commonly treated include:
- Breast areola after breast surgery.
BOTOX is also commonly used for excessive sweating (Hyperhidrosis), Bruxism (teeth grinding), reducing appearance of platysmal bands, calf reductions and "gummy smiles."
We’re as thrilled with our patients’ results as they are. Check out our before-and-after photo gallery and see for yourself the kind of work our talented surgeons and nurses do.
What To Expect During Cosmetic Injections
BOTOX treatment includes an initial consultation, and facial evaluation. An individualized treatment plan to achieve your goals is created. The treatment takes only a few minutes and is nearly painless. Details about how your BOTOX treatment will be performed will be provided during your initial consultation.
How Long Does BOTOX Last?
Results vary depending on the area and amount used. It typically lasts up to 4 months.
Post Treatment Instructions
- Remain upright for 4 hours after injection, keeping your head above your heart.
- Exaggerate facial expressions in treated areas for 1 hour after injection.
- Tiny bumps and marks at the injection sites usually disappear within a few hours.
- With any injection procedure bruising is possible; if it occurs apply ice to area for 20 minutes. You may also use an OTC topical Arnica product.
- Headaches can occur after BOTOX treatments. If you have a headache we recommend you avoid aspirin or aspirin-containing products. You may use Motrin, Tylenol, and/or cool compresses. If the headache is unrelenting or continues to get worse, please contact the office.
- DO NOT participate in yoga or other rigorous exercise activities for the 1st 24 hours after treatment.
- DO NOT massage or manipulate injection sites for 48 hours after injection.
- Schedule a follow up appointment (if applicable) prior to leaving the office.
- Results are expected within 3 to 5 days after injection, with maximum effect by 2 weeks.
Is BOTOX Safe?
BOTOX procedures are completely safe when performed under proper sterilization and sanitation guidelines. These guidelines include the following:
- All needles should be new and sterile for each client.
- All equipment and supplies should be pre-sterilized and disposed of in a sanitary manner.
- Gloves should be new for each client and changed periodically during the procedure.
- The room or treatment area should be in an area free from other contaminants.
West End Plastic Surgery adheres to the most stringent sterilization and sanitary guidelines.
BOTOX Injections For Excessive Sweating
Treating Teeth Grinding With BOTOX Injections
Calf Reduction With Neurotoxins
Risks of Cosmetic Injections
Although there are risks, they are rare. Injection site redness, swelling and bruising is possible and temporary if they occur. Eyelid droop, asymmetry, and lack of effect are also rare occurrences. One can have an allergic reaction to BOTOX. Those taking certain antibiotics are at risk for an adverse reaction. Anyone who is taking an antibiotic is advised to make your provider aware of this before being injected with BOTOX. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding are advised to postpone BOTOX injections until their little ones are no longer dependent upon them for nutrition.