Intense Pulsed Light
What is it?
Commonly called IPL or photo facial is used to address many skin concerns such as redness and hyperpigmentation with virtually no downtime. IPL uses light energy to reverse the visible signs of aging from general environmental wear and tear. It can also help stimulate collagen production reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Post Treatment Instructions
- Your skin may be irritated or red and feel as though you have mild sunburn. This is a normal occurrence and you may apply cool, not cold compresses to the treatment site. Do not apply ice or anything frozen directly to the skin. Apply cool compresses for no longer than 20-minute intervals.
- Avoid the use of alpha or beta hydroxyl products, retinols, or Retin A products for 24 hrs after your treatment as they could create additional irritation. After 24 hrs you may resume your prescribed skin care regimen.
- Flaking and crusting may occur. Do not attempt to exfoliate or remove any crusting. Areas with heavy sun damage and brown spots will darken over the first 24 hrs after treatment. Some of the red areas may intensify as well. Do not pick or abrade the area. This is part of the normal response to treatment and will clear on its own in 3-7 days. If you experience any open wounds contact our office immediately.
- Maintain hydration. Drink plenty of non-alcoholic, caffeine-free and sodium-free beverages and keep skin well hydrated as directed.
- Cleanse and treat your skin as prescribed. Follow the directions you are given for your skin condition and goals. Proper skin care is essential to support the effects of your IPL treatment.
- Do not expose your skin to direct sunlight for a minimum of 3 days. Good sun protection is essential following treatment. If you are outdoors apply a minimum SPF 30 and wear sun protective clothing and headwear. Following IPL therapy your skin is highly susceptible to sunburn or the formation of irregular, darkened pigmentation. Therefore, Sun protection is required for life to maintain the results you have achieved.
- Follow-up as directed. Your treatment may require several treatments of many weeks to achieve optimal results. Results may not be visible after each treatment but may develop gradually in the weeks that follow. It is essential that your progress is monitored throughout your treatment cycle. Keep your appointments as directed.