What is a Brazilian Butt Lift?
A Brazilian butt lift at our Washington, D.C. practice is a surgical procedure that augments and/or shapes the buttocks with your own fat for a more pronounced, voluminous appearance. The procedure is particularly effective when flabby “orange peel” skin is present or when the buttocks are flat or undersized.
In many cases, the Brazilian butt lift is performed in conjunction with other body contouring procedures such as VASERlipo™, a Mommy Makeover, abdominoplasty, thigh lifts, or VASERsmooth™ cellulite reduction. Working with our surgeons and their team, you can determine the procedure that is right for you and be assured of the results you desire.
Are You a Good Candidate for a Brazilian Butt Lift?
If you feel that your buttocks are flat or don’t match the contours of the rest of your body, or if your skin in that area is excessively loose and flabby and exercise and dieting have been unable to correct the problem, you are likely a good candidate for a Brazilian butt lift.
Meeting With the Doctor
Prior to scheduling your Brazilian butt lift, you will meet at length with your surgeon and their staff at West End Plastic Surgery to determine whether the procedure is right for you and to answer any questions you may have. At this initial consultation, your buttock, waist, and thigh regions will be evaluated, and we will discuss how you want this area to look after surgery.
Your surgeon and their team at West End Plastic Surgery will:
- Review the various buttock enhancement options with you
- Clearly discuss the potential risks of the procedure
- Outline in detail how the surgery is performed and what you can expect before, during, and after the procedure
- Provide detailed cost and payment information
- Answer all your questions
You will be asked to provide:
- Details about your medical history
- A list of all medication you currently take, including over the counter medications such as aspirin, vitamins, and herbal supplements
- Information regarding your tobacco and alcohol use
We’re as thrilled with our patients’ results as they are. Check out our before-and-after photo gallery and see for yourself the kind of work our talented surgeons do.
Butt Lift Procedure
Dr. Ruff or one of our board-certified plastic surgeons will perform this procedure in our state-of-the-art, AAAASF-certified surgical suite, where they are dedicated to your complete comfort during and after the procedure. We use either general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation depending on the extent of the procedure. The surgery takes between one to five hours to complete. We will discuss the type of anesthesia and the anticipated length of your procedure at your initial consultation.
To start the surgery, your surgeon makes an incision high on the lower area of the buttock in as inconspicuous a location as possible. In most cases, though the incision may be extensive, they place it in a position that will allow you to wear a bathing suit and current clothing styles without the scar being visible. We will discuss the exact placement of your incision with you during your initial consultation.
Once your surgeon makes the incision, they extract fat from another area of the body, such as the abdomen or thigh, via liposuction. They then purify this fat and adds it to the buttocks. They shape the fat for a voluptuous, natural-looking contour, and may also remove excess skin for a smooth result. In some cases, they will add buttock implants to further enhance results. Stitches are then used to close the incision. Once the incision is stitched, gauze dressings and tape are applied over the surgical area and a compression garment is placed.
Brazilian Butt Lift Surgery with Dr. Paul Ruff:
Recovery After Brazilian Butt Lift
|Walking and Standing||The evening After Surgery|
|Shower||Three to Five Days After Surgery|
|Back to Work||Two to Three Weeks After Surgery|
|Driving||Two to Three Weeks After Surgery|
|Strenuous Activity||Six Weeks After Surgery|
|Fading of Scars||Several Months to One Year|
Immediately After Your Surgery
In our Washington, D.C. practice, Dr. Ruff performs Brazilian butt lift surgery on an outpatient basis for most cases. You can go home shortly after your surgery is completed. You may be sleepy from the anesthesia and the area around your incisions will be sore, so you will need to have someone drive you home. Once you go home, you may want to have someone stay with you for the first few days because you may experience moderate discomfort.
The First 24 to 28 Hours After Your Surgery
During the first 24 to 48 hours after your procedure, you will feel tired from the anesthesia and may experience mild to moderate discomfort. Your surgeon will prescribe pain medication to alleviate as much of the discomfort as possible. There will be moderate swelling, tenderness, and bruising in the area of the incision; this will gradually disappear within the first month after your surgery. Your discomfort level will improve rapidly after the first two days.
Small amounts of bleeding and drainage are normal in the first few days after surgery. If you see more than just a slow staining of the gauze dressing, apply direct pressure to the area with your hand for 20 to 30 minutes to stop the bleeding. If this does not stop the bleeding, call West End Plastic Surgery. Heavy bleeding is rare. However, if it does happen, call the office right away.
The First 2 Weeks After Surgery
You will notice a marked improvement in your discomfort level during the first few weeks after your surgery:
- You will experience moderate swelling, tenderness, and bruising in the area of the incision. This will gradually disappear within the first two weeks after surgery, with most of the swelling and bruising disappearing within a month.
- When sitting or lying down, choose the position that is most comfortable for you and approved by your surgeon and staff. No matter which position you choose, you will not be able to avoid putting some pressure on the treated area. Try to change positions every 30 minutes to keep from placing too much stress or weight on any one area.
- You can shower (no bath) as soon as your surgeon permits you to do so. For most patients, this is three to five days after surgery. Treat the surgical tape placed over your incision like your own skin — soap, rinse, and dry off normally. If the strips become loose or curl on the ends, you can snip the ends off or remove them completely.
- Remember, it is very important to keep the surgical incision and the area surrounding it free of contamination to avoid infection. Because the treated area can become contaminated with fecal material, you will need to shower and wash thoroughly after every bowel movement. After drying completely, you may apply a thin layer of antibiotic ointment to that area.
- Dr. Ruff and his staff will review the best positions to be in for the first two weeks after surgery to help keep your implants or transplanted fat protected during initial healing. Keeping pressure off the fat grafts or implants is critical in the first two weeks to ensure the best possible result.
Resuming Your Normal Routine
Everyone heals at different rates and you are the best judge of when you are ready for certain activities, but the following are general guidelines:
- You can most likely return to work or school within two to three weeks after your procedure. If your work is strenuous, plan to stay home from work for four to six weeks, depending on how you heal and the type of work you do.
- You should walk every day, beginning the day after your surgery. Do as much walking as you can, but be sure to take things at your own pace.
- You can resume driving as soon as you experience no pain, usually two to six weeks after your surgery.
- You can most likely return to your physical exercise program within six weeks of your buttock lift. Our patients are encouraged to plan an exercise program and discuss it with the staff prior to resuming exercise.
- The scars caused by the incision should be protected from sunlight for at least a year after surgery.
Read what our patients are saying!
I can't recommend West End Plastic Surgery enough! This was one of the best surgical experiences I have had in a long time. You can't go wrong with the team at West End Plastic Surgery. From the time of my consultation to my one month post op check in everything went as it was explained to me and my results were phenomenal. West End Plastic Surgery treats their patients very well. The doctors, staff and nurses are all so kind and welcoming and very knowledgeable. I look forward to going back and I definitely will!
Click here to read more reviews.
Things to Be Aware of After Your Surgery
- You may experience a loss of sensation or numbness in the area of your surgery. This is entirely normal and may take several months to disappear.
- The skin in the area of your surgery may appear shiny due to swelling. Within a few weeks, the swelling will disappear and the skin will return to a normal appearance.
- You may notice a tingling sensation in the surgical area. This feeling is a result of the healing of the nerves in the area and will go away within several months of your procedure.
- All symptoms of Brazilian butt lift surgery generally disappear within 4 to 6 months of the procedure.
What Are Possible Side Effects or Risks?
All surgical procedures have some degree of risk; however, major complications from Brazilian butt lift surgery in our Washington, D.C. practice are unusual. During your initial consultation, your individual risks will be assessed and discussed. As with any surgery, you can help reduce the risks by closely following your pre- and post-surgery instructions. Our team will be with you every step of the way to ensure a safe and pleasing outcome. Some possible side effects include:
- Loss of sensation
- Irregular pigmentation
How Long Will the Results of Your Brazilian Butt Lift Last?
Brazilian butt lift surgery dramatically improves the appearance of your buttock and upper thigh region. Skin appears tighter and smoother, and the buttocks have a larger, more pronounced shape. These results generally last five to ten years, however, large weight fluctuations or pregnancy will affect how long the results last.
Questions You May Have
Are there other procedures that could be done along with buttock lift surgery to enhance the overall appearance of my buttock and upper thighs?
Dr. Ruff may perform VASERlipo, VASERsmooth cellulite reduction, a Mommy Makeover, abdominoplasty, or a thigh lift at the same time as a Brazilian butt lift. He is one of the first specialists in the Washington, D.C. area who is certified to perform VASERlipo, a much gentler form of liposuction, which can be used to remove fat in the area near your buttock lift.
Will my insurance coverage pay for my Brazilian butt lift?
Buttock lift surgery is considered cosmetic surgery and therefore is not covered by insurance. You are responsible for the full payment of the procedure. We will discuss cost and payment information with you during your initial consultation.
Are there alternatives to buttock lift surgery?
Options for improving the look of your buttocks and upper thighs include weight loss and exercise, especially toning exercise. VASERlipo or VASERsmooth cellulite reduction may also greatly enhance your buttock and upper thigh area.