in Washington D.C.
Aging often brings with it changes that do not reflect how we see ourselves. Skin can begin to sag. Facial volume is in places that we don’t want it, and not where we do. The neck, jawline, and jowls which looked youthful and vibrant now look full and irregular. No one has a crystal ball, but we can look at our parents and grandparents and see the future before us. VASERlipo™ using special ultrasonic probes designed for the delicate structures of the face can be used to restore contour, shape, and tone to the face. Hidden access points and minimal recovery can result in maximal improvements with this specialized technique. VASERlipo can be used alone or in conjunction with other procedures such as fat grafting, face and neck lifting, eyelid surgery, or laser resurfacing to create a harmonious and optimal rejuvenation. Working with West End Plastic Surgery, you will have a personalized surgical and non-surgical plan to achieve your rejuvenation goals.
Are You A Good Candidate for VASERlipo Rejuvenation of the Face & Neck?
The best candidate for VASERlipo Rejuvenation of the face is a man or woman who has begun to notice a sallow, full appearance to the face and neck. Many see deep nasolabial folds, an irregular jawline, jowls and a full neck. These changes can start as early as the early thirties. Successful VASER Lipo rejuvenation requires skin that is not too loose. You might also be a good candidate for KYBELLA™ injections if your primary concern is a double chin. Most patients are in their late thirties to fifties, but VASERlipo can be successfully performed on people well into their sixties and seventies. If you are generally healthy, have realistic views about the results that can be achieved with facial liposuction, and have any of the following conditions, you may be a good candidate for the procedure:
- A full Neck with a Double or Triple Chin
- Moderate jowls
- Full cheeks
- A diminished jaw line
- Skin that is not too loose
What Should I Expect at my VASERlipo Consultation?
Prior to scheduling your VASERlipo rejuvenation procedure you will have an extensive consultation with Dr. Ruff or one of our board certified plastic surgeons at West End Plastic Surgery. The goals of the consultation are to evaluate your facial and neck structure, your skin elasticity and facial volume, and your underlying muscle tone to determine if facial liposuction is right for you. Adjunctive procedures will be recommended if needed to create a harmonious rejuvenation. Dr. Ruff or your surgeon will thoroughly explain each technique along with its risks, benefits, and recovery times. You will be asked to describe in detail how you want your face and neck to look after your facial liposuction. Good quality pictures of the face when you liked what it looked like are helpful in understanding your facial volume changes and aging. Working together, you and the doctor will decide which technique will give you the results you desire.
The team at West End Plastic Surgery will:
- Review the VASERlipo procedure and adjunctive procedures with you
- Clearly discuss the potential risks of each procedure
- Outline in detail how the surgery is performed and what you can expect before, during, and after the procedure
- Provide detailed cost and payment information
- Answer all your questions
You will be asked to provide:
- Details about your medical history
- A list of all medication you currently take, including over the counter medications such as aspirin, vitamins, and herbal supplements
- Information regarding your tobacco and alcohol use
How Is a Neck Liposuction Procedure Performed?
Your surgeon will mark the areas of the face to be treated as well as any other areas that will be treated with other procedures if planned. All of the areas will be numbed with local anesthesia for comfort during and after the procedure. Only small, inconspicuous puncture sites are required for the insertion of the probes and cannulas used in the procedure. Protective skin ports are placed that minimize any trauma to the skin and maximize the ability to heal. Once the areas are numbed adequately, the ultrasonic probes, at specific power settings, are used to treat the planned areas of the face. Low power suction and specialty cannulas remove the unwanted fat and debris to create the contours and shape that are desired.
Once the desired facial shaping is achieved, the skin ports are removed and the skin port sites are closed with sutures. The fat that is removed is often collected and used for the transfer to sites that need volume to enhance the results. Any other planned procedures are completed.
A compression wrap is placed that helps the tissues mold to the desired shape. This also controls the early swelling and bruising that is likely to happen. Patients are provided cool packs and encouraged to sit semi-upright which also helps control swelling and bruising.
How Long Does a Neck Liposuction Procedure Take?
The procedure will take between one to two hours to complete
Where is a Neck Liposuction Procedure Performed?
Your liposuction procedure will be performed in our state-of-the-art, AAAASF certified surgical suite.
Does Neck Liposuction Require Anesthesia?
It can be performed either under local anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation/general anesthesia depending on what you and the doctor prefer. With general anesthesia, you will be completely asleep throughout the procedure. With local anesthesia, you will be awake and the areas to be treated will be numbed. The type of anesthesia used, our surgical facility, and other recommended procedures will be discussed with you at your initial consultation.
What To Expect After Your Surgery
|Drainage Tubes Removed||Not usually used but if present One to Five Days after Surgery|
|Bandages Removed||One to Five Days after Surgery, a compression wrap is provided and encouraged to be worn for three weeks after surgery when at home|
|Shower & Shampoo Hair||The day after bandages are removed|
|Stitches Removed||Five to Seven Days after Surgery, most are dissolving and do not require removal|
|Return to Work||Two to Fourteen Days after Surgery|
|Driving||As Soon as You Feel Comfortable and do not require narcotic pain medication|
|Strenuous Activities||One to Two Weeks after Surgery|
|Fading of Scars||Several Months to One Year|
Immediately After Your Surgery
In most cases, VASER Lipo Rejuvenation of the Face surgery is performed on an outpatient basis and you go home shortly after the surgery. You may be sleepy from the anesthesia and the surgical area will be sore so you will need to have someone drive you home unless only local anesthesia was used. There will be some bruising, swelling and numbness. You will need to keep your head elevated and avoid any strenuous activity for a few days after surgery to help reduce the swelling and avoid complications. Pain medication will be prescribed to alleviate as much post-surgery pain as possible. Cool packs to the treated areas will help with comfort, swelling and bruising for the first two to three days. Avoid ice or ice packs applied directly to the skin.
The First 24 to 48 Hours After Your Surgery
You may experience some numbness and temporary discomfort around the incisions and treated areas. Most of the discomfort is likely to be felt along the neck and jawline. Any pain or discomfort you experience can be controlled with prescribed medication if needed. You will also experience swelling and some bruising. You will need to keep your head elevated for the first few days after surgery to reduce the swelling of your face. Your discomfort level will improve rapidly after the first two days.
Your doctor will remove your bandages at your first post-operative visit. There may be a small amount of bleeding around your incisions. This is normal and can usually be controlled by applying light pressure to the area. If the bleeding does not respond to light pressure or becomes heavy call West End Plastic Surgery for further instructions.
You can usually wash your hair 48hours after surgery. However, if you dry your hair, keep the dryer on the lowest setting since your face and scalp may be numb and there is a risk that you might burn yourself.
The First Two Weeks After Surgery
Although you will be up and around in the first few days after your surgery, you should take it easy for the first week after surgery. Any non-dissolving stitches will be removed within five to seven days after surgery. You can begin using makeup two days after your stitches are removed. Most patients are back to work within two weeks of surgery.
You will notice that you will become increasingly more comfortable during the first few weeks after your surgery. You may also notice:
- Mild to moderate swelling, tenderness, and bruising in the area of the procedure. This will gradually disappear within the first two weeks after your procedure with most of the noticeable swelling and bruising disappearing within a month. The swelling may cause it to feel funny when you make certain facial expressions.
- Numbness in the area of your procedure; this is normal and may take several weeks to months to disappear completely.
- Itching as a result of the healing of the nerves near your incisions or treated areas. This feeling is more pronounced with surgical procedures and may take up to six months to disappear completely.
Resuming Your Normal Routine
Everyone heals at different rates and you are the best judge of when you are ready for certain activities, but the following are general guidelines:
- You can most likely return to work within three days to two weeks of your surgery.
- You can resume driving as soon as you feel comfortable doing so and are not on any narcotics.
- You can most likely return to your physical exercise program within two to six weeks of your procedure. Our patients are encouraged to plan an exercise program and discuss it with the staff prior to resuming exercise.
- Most of the visible signs of your procedure should fade within about three weeks.
- Prolonged exposure to heat and sun should be limited for several months.
- The scars caused by the incision should be protected from sunlight for at least a year after the procedure.
Things To Be Aware Of After Your Surgery
- Bruising and swelling usually decrease enough so that you can comfortably go out in public about ten to twenty days after your procedure, frequently sooner.
- You may experience a loss of sensation or numbness in the area of your procedure. This is entirely normal and may take several weeks to months to disappear.
- Your face and neck will feel dry. Apply a good, fragrance-free moisturizer frequently. If you like, we can recommend one that will enhance your healing .
- Avoid saunas and steam baths the first two months after your surgery.
- Protect your scars with sunscreen for at least six months after your procedure. Use an SPF 15 (or greater) sunscreen every time you are outside. Apply the sunscreen before applying makeup
What Are Possible Side Effects or Risks?
All surgical procedures have some degree of risk; however, major complications from VASER Lipo Rejuvenation of the Face surgery are unusual. During your initial consultation with Dr. Ruff and the surgeons at West End Plastic Surgery, your individual risks will be assessed and discussed. As with any procedure, you can help reduce the risks by closely following the pre and post-procedure instructions provided to you. And Dr. Ruff and his staff will be with you every step of the way to ensure a safe and pleasing outcome.
Most likely risks include the following:
- Nerve damage
- Blood or fluid collection
- Contour irregularities
- Prolonged swelling
- Skin surface burns
How Long Will the Results of Your VASER Lipo Rejuvenation of the Face Last?
VASER Lipo Rejuvenation of the Face restores facial contours associated with the natural aging process to create a more youthful appearance. Although the aging process continues, these results generally last between five to ten years, longer in many cases. It is important to keep in mind that the effects of lifestyle, aging, gravity, and environmental factors will continue to affect the contours, smoothness, sagging, and wrinkling of your face and neck. Meticulous skin care is critical to maximize the effectiveness and longevity of your surgical results.
Are there other procedures that could be done along with VASER Lipo Rejuvenation of the Face to enhance the overall appearance of my face?
- VASER Lipo Rejuvenation of the Face is often performed in conjunction with a facelift, neck lift, brow lift, eyelid surgery, fat grafting, or laser resurfacing to enhance the overall youthful appearance.
Will my insurance coverage pay for my VASER Lipo Rejuvenation of the Face?
VASER Lipo Rejuvenation of the Face is considered cosmetic surgery and, therefore, is not covered by insurance. You are responsible for the full payment of the procedure. Cost and payment information will be fully discussed with you during your initial consultation.
Are there alternatives to VASER Lipo Rejuvenation of the Face surgery?
Botox injections and fillers are non-surgical alternatives to VASER Lipo rejuvenation of the face. These injections can reduce or eliminate lines and furrows that cause wrinkles. Meticulous skin care may also help improve the tone, texture, and occasionally the contour of your facial skin. Laser resurfacing and chemical peels may also provide a less invasive option.