West End Plastic Surgery is proud to offer laser hair removal, unlike any other laser treatment available. Using the most advanced laser technology, this treatment is targeted at reducing unwanted hair growth in most skin types. Here at West End Plastic Surgery, we utilize Lumenis LightSheer Duet as well as Motus AX for hair removal.
Motus AX Hair Removal
Here are the important facts you need to know about our new Motus AX laser:
- Faster Hair Removal
- Fewer Treatments compared to typical laser hair removal
- Treat Light & Dark Skin-types
- More Comfortable Treatments
As many recognize, laser hair removal is one of the most common cosmetic laser procedures. In general, devices for hair removal beam highly concentrated light into hair follicles. Pigment in the follicles absorbs the light which then destroys the hair. The most efficacious laser for hair removal (particularly fine and light hair) has historically been the Alexandrite laser. However, limitations when treating darker skin types kept it from being the universal choice for providers and many patients have had to settle for less efficacious laser hair removal options. Until now, the Motus AX is the first, high-speed Alexandrite laser that makes it possible for even darker skin types to benefit from the effectiveness of this laser type. This breakthrough is possible because of Moveo technology — a handpiece that delivers fast, more efficient energy to destroy the hair in a way that is painless and free from side effects.
Who is an ideal candidate for laser hair reduction?
We all have unwanted hair somewhere on our bodies, so pretty much everyone could benefit from laser hair reduction at West End Plastic Surgery. Whether you’re a woman tired of the tedium of shaving your legs or bikini line, or a man looking to get rid of back hair or that arm sweater, it’s rewarding to reduce the unwanted hair permanently.
One of the breakthrough benefits of the Motus AX is that it is safe and effective for light to dark skin types. Whether you have fine, light hair or a darker skin tone, the Motus AX can be used to target and permanently remove unwanted hair. The Motus AX may also be used with tanned skin however, it is always recommended that you talk with your physician about your specific skin conditions before treatment.
Because we use two different types of lasers for hair reduction at West End, these issues aren’t as much of a problem for our patients.
LightSheer Hair Removal
LightSheer Diode Laser Systems are clinically proven and highly regarded for providing safety, superior results, and patient satisfaction. With 2 different leaser heads, we are able to attack those stubborn unwanted hairs with speed and comfort.
What makes Motus AX different from other lasers for hair removal?
The three main differences between the Motus AX and other technologies for laser hair removal are:
1) Total comfort
2) Speed and effectiveness of the treatment
3) Use across skin types
The Motus AX eliminates the trade-offs that come with other laser hair removal options. For instance, an Nd:YAG laser can be used across skin types but is less effective. Other technologies are highly effective but treatments are difficult to tolerate.
How successful is laser hair reduction?
As mentioned above, each of our hairs can be in one of the three phases of the hair growth cycle: growth, transition, or rest. Unfortunately, laser energy is only effective on hair in the growth phase because these hairs are still actively anchored in the hair follicle. Hair that is in either the transition or resting phases is in the process of being shed, so energy can’t travel down the hair shaft into the follicle. When you think of the number of unwanted hairs you’re seeking to target, catching each unwanted hair in the growth phase isn’t easy.
Second, damaged follicles can rebuild sometimes with hormonal changes, and partially damaged follicles can heal and begin to grow hair again.
So, how much hair can you permanently get rid of? It’s from 85 to 90 percent in the treatment areas. That’s why the FDA approved lasers for what it calls “laser hair reduction.”
Are laser hair reduction results permanent?
The question of whether a targeted hair follicle is permanently destroyed and unable to grow hair in the future is typically one of the degree of damage. When the laser light energy is delivered down onto the unwanted hair, the melanin in the hair shaft absorbs the light energy and it instantly converts to heat. This heat travels down the hair shaft into the hair follicle where it is anchored. If the hair is fully anchored in the follicle and in the midst of the growth phase, the heat should destroy or heavily damage the follicle. This will prevent it from growing hair in the future.
But each of the five million hairs on the human body operates independently and moves in and out of the three phases of the hair growth cycle: growth, transition, and rest. So, some of the hairs won’t be fully anchored in the follicle, as they will be in the transition phase toward being shed. Others will be in the resting phase, and these are not affected at all by the laser energy.
Plus, hormonal changes can trigger some damaged hair follicles to recover and begin growing hair again.
Bottom line? Patients can achieve from 85-90 percent permanent reduction in hair growth. A yearly maintenance session or two is a good idea to keep damaged follicles from returning to growth.
Will my treatment hurt?
One of the major benefits of the Motus AX, is that the Moveo technology eliminates the discomfort of typical laser hair removal. Most people only feel a warming sensation making the experience a highly comfortable one.
How long will my treatment take?
Treatment length will vary depending on the area being treated. The Motus AX is relatively fast and able to complete a large area in under 5 minutes.
How many sessions will I need?
The number of sessions required to eliminate hair completely depends on the individual. A typical laser hair removal regimen is 5-6 sessions spaced one month apart and then maintenance treatments as needed. Given the efficacy of the Motus AX, you may need fewer sessions and could go longer before needing a touch-up treatment.
Is laser hair reduction safe?
Laser hair removal has proven to be reliable, effective, and safe. Lasers have been used for laser hair removal for almost 30 years, and the process was extensively tested prior to becoming commercially available. The most common side effects after treatment include skin irritation, such as redness and slight swelling on the treatment sites. This usually passes within a few hours.
Pre and Post Treatment Instructions
Before your Laser Hair Reduction treatment, please be sure to follow these steps:
- For at least 3 weeks immediately prior to your first treatment, and during the remainder of your treatment package, please do not wax, tweeze, use depilatories, undergo electrolysis, or bleach the hair you are seeking to remove.
- Please shave the morning of or the night before your appointment. Men should come to an appointment with the closest possible shave.
- Please inform users as soon as possible in advance of your treatment if you are taking any antibiotics.
- Please do not use any products containing Alpha or Beta Hydroxyl acids, Retinol, or Retin A for at least 3-5 days prior to your treatments.
- If you have a history of herpes in the area to be treated, we strongly recommend you take a prescribed anti-viral medication to decrease the risk of an outbreak after the treatment. We would be happy to provide you with a prescription, just ask one of our team members.
- In the days leading up to your treatment please try to keep well hydrated as hydrated skin is able to tolerate more light energy, making your treatments safer, but also more effective.
After your laser hair reduction treatment:
- Your skin may look completely normal, but some individuals it may look red and feel warm. This is normal and will subside of the next few hours.
- You should not feel any significant discomfort, heat, or pain. If you do, place a cool cloth or gel ice pack on the area, and continue to cool until the heat sensation subsides. Please call us if heat is significant or unrelenting.
- You may use an antihistamine cream (i.e. hydrocortisone 1%) should any itching occur. This may be immediate and could last up to 7 days.
- Please avoid excessive sun exposure for 2 weeks after treatment. Please use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher during the entire course of your treatment.
- Avoid hot water for 24 hours after treatment.
- Avoid all astringents and irritants (toners, glycolic, retinol, etc.) for the remainder of the day.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you're interested in learning more about laser hair reduction please contact us for a consultation at 202-785-4187 or fill out our contact us form below. We will discuss your needs and concerns, and determine your best course of action.