What is Restylane
Restylane® is a safe, and natural cosmetic dermal filler that enhances the youthfulness of your face by restoring volume and fullness to the skin to correct facial wrinkles, folds, and furrows. It is made of hyaluronic acid, a natural substance that already exists in the human body.
The hyaluronic acid contained in Restylane is hydrophilic or “water loving,” meaning that once injected into the face, Restylane maintains its shape by binding to the body’s own moisture. It is this ability to bind with water that helps provide results lasting up to six months. And because Restylane is free from animal proteins, the risk of allergic reactions or the transmission of animal-based disease is limited. Restylane has been used in more than 1.5 million treatments in over 60 countries. It is only available through a licensed practitioner and has helped hundreds of men and woman restore and rejuvenate their facial features.
Where can Restylane® be used?
Restylane is currently approved in the United States for treating facial wrinkles and folds, such those that appear from the nose to the corners of the mouth. Restylane Lyft is also approved by the FDA for treating volume deficits in the backs of the hands. Dr. Ruff and his staff at West End Plastic Surgery are experts in using Restylane to correct a variety of facial wrinkles and to enhance the appearance of the lip border.
Types of Restylane Filler
The Restylane line of hyaluronic acid (HA) dermal fillers is the broadest portfolio of fillers in the United States, including:
- Restylane Kysse
- Restylane Contour
- Restylane Lyft
- Restylane Refyne
- Restylane Defyne
- Restylane Silk
We’re as thrilled with our patients’ results as they are. Check out our before-and-after photo gallery and see for yourself the kind of work our talented surgeons and nurses do.
Restylane® Kysse is a new hyaluronic acid (HA) lip filler designed to enhance lip volume and minimize the appearance of fine lines above the mouth. It has also been shown to improve texture. Restylane Kysse is the first FRA approved HA lip filler formulated with XpresHAn TechnologyTM for smooth, natural-looking results.
Clinical results from multiple studies show that treatment with Restylane Kysse can provide added volume in the lips and improve the appearance of lines above the mouth, with results lasting for up to 11 months after the last injection.
The newest Restylane filler, Restylane Contour is the only cheek filler that uses
XpresHAn Technology for flexible movement and natural looking results. Restylane Contour is used for cheek augmentation and the to improve the overall midface contour.
Restylane Lyft is the first and only hyaluronic acid filler to be FDA-approved for both the face and hands – the midface/cheek area, nasolabial folds, marionette lines, oral commissures (lines at the corner of the mouth), and the back of the hands. Restylane Lyft restores volume to the cheeks and hands for a smoother, more youthful looking appearance.
Results are clinically proven to last up to 18 months in the nasolabial folds, 12 months in the cheeks, and up to 6 months in facial wrinkles and folds the hands.
Restylane Refyne and Defyne
Restylane Refyne and Restylane Defyne are FDA-approved to smooth smile and laugh lines. They are the only fillers designed with XpresHAn Technology™, which creates a smooth, injectable gel that can give the skin a natural, soft look, and is proven to maintain natural movement in the lower part of the face. Since the lower part of the face is constantly in motion, it’s important to use a filler that supports natural movement and facial expressions.
Results with Restylane Refyne and Restylane Defyne are clinically proven to last up to 12 months.
Restylane Silk was the first FDA-approved filler specifically designed for lip augmentation and the smoothing of wrinkles around the mouth. Restylane Silk is designed specifically to provide natural-looking results in these areas, due to its unique formulation.nThe lip area is the second most common treatment area on the face, and Restylane Silk provides a solution for patients interested in subtly enhancing this area.
Restylane Silk was approved in 2015 and has a proven safety record with results that last up to six months. Restylane Silk also became the first and only lip filler FDA approved to be injected via cannula, a thin, flexible tube with a small opening that may help minimize patient bruising and downtime.
With more than 20 years of clinical legacy, Restylane was the world’s first hyaluronic acid filler. Restylane-L is FDA-approved to help correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, including the lines from the nose to the corners of the mouth (nasolabial folds) and the lines from the corners of the mouth to the chin (marionette lines), and for enhancement of the lips.
How long does Restylane® last?
The unique hydrophilic nature of Restylane delivers results that generally last for about six months. And, because Restylane binds to the water in your body, its cosmetic effects are maintained until the injected material is nearly gone. Of course, individual results may vary and it is best to discuss your individual case with Dr. Ruff and the team at West End Plastic Surgery during your initial consultation.
Is Restylane® safe?
Since 1996, over 1.5 million Restylane treatments have been safely administered by dermatologists and plastic surgeons in more than 60 countries. Restylane has been approved by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) for use in the United States for the treatment of facial wrinkles and volume deficits in the backs of the hands. Because Restylane is free from animal proteins, the risk of allergic reactions or the transmission of animal-based disease is limited. And Restylane treatments produce a low occurrence of side effects. The most commonly reported side effects are temporary redness and mild swelling at the injection site. During your initial consultation, a staff member at West End Plastic Surgery will address any safety concerns you have regarding the use of Restylane.
Restylane, a crystal clear gel, is injected directly into the skin in tiny amounts using an ultra-fine needle. The gel fills the skin’s wrinkles and depressions by plumping the skin with water-binding, naturally occurring hyaluronic acid. The doctor may numb the treated area, however, there is minimal discomfort during or after the procedure. The procedure is simple and convenient and results are practically instantaneous.
Restylane treatments produce a low occurrence of side effects. The most commonly reported side effects are temporary redness and mild swelling at the injection site. Both the redness and the swelling generally disappear within seven days of your treatment.
Restylane® Pre Treatment Instructions:
- Prior to your Restylane treatment please make sure you have not been taking aspirin, ibuprofen, or any other blood thinning medication or supplement for 5-7 days.
- Please come to your appointment with clean skin, free of any make-up or lotions/creams.
- If you have a history of facial cold sores, please inform your provider about medications that may be taken to minimize risk of reoccurrence.
Restylane®Post treatment Instructions:
- A temporary amount of mild-moderate swelling and redness at the injection site can be expected immediately after treatment. This is a normal occurrence and will reduce over the next few days. Cold compresses or ice packs may be applied to the area as needed for comfort.
- Bruising at the injection site is a commonly reported side effect. The extent and duration of bruising can be decreased by applying cold compresses and using a topical arnica gel within the first 24 hours after treatment.
- It is normal to experience some tenderness at treatment site for a few days.
- The injection site may be gently washed a few hours after treatment. Please avoid aggressive scrubbing, rubbing, or exfoliation until swelling and redness subsides.
- Makeup may be applied shortly after treatment unless otherwise noted by treatment provider. Please make sure to apply gently over treatment site.
- Avoid exercise or alcohol for 6 hours after treatment.
- Do not have laser, microdermabrasion, chemical peel, or any other aggressive treatments over treatment site for a minimum of 2 weeks.
- It is not uncommon to feel irregularities or undulations under the skin when pressing on the treated area, please do not massage unless otherwise directed by your provider.
- Sunbathing or excessive UV exposure should be avoided until the redness and swelling has subsided.