One of the most commonly performed cosmetic procedures in the United States, laser hair reduction consists of removing unwanted hair from several areas of the body. Here are nine things you should know about this popular procedure and why you should consider it.
- Laser hair reduction beams highly concentrated light into hair follicles that are in the active growth phase.
- Laser hair reduction removes unwanted hair from the face, chin, arms, underarms, bikini line, legs and back.
- Lasers target dark, coarse hairs while leaving surrounding skin undamaged.
- Most patients will achieve permanent hair loss after 5-6 sessions spaced one month apart but may need many more depending on their situation and how they respond to treatment. The Motus AX laser used in our office leads to faster hair removal and fewer treatments when compared to typical laser hair removal.
- Patients will have pre-treatment instructions to prepare for laser hair reduction. You will need to limit plucking, waxing and electrolysis for six weeks before the treatment. This is because the laser treatment works on the roots of the hairs, but waxing and plucking removes those temporarily, making treatment ineffective.
- This time of year is a good time to start laser hair reduction as patients will need to avoid sun exposure for six weeks before and after treatment as it makes treatment less effective and may lead to complications.
- Patients will have post-treatment instructions such as using a cool cloth or gel ice pack to treat any discomfort from redness or swelling in the treatment area, which is normal.
- Ideal candidates include anyone who has unwanted hair on their body. State-of-the-art technology makes it safe and effective for light to dark skin types and can be an effective treatment for most patients.
- Patients can expect 85-90 percent permanent reduction in their hair growth with treatment. They may require a yearly maintenance session to keep damaged hair follicles from returning to the growth phase.
If you are interested in learning more about laser hair reduction and whether you are a candidate for treatment, schedule a consultation by calling 202-785-4187 today.