Even if you’re at or near your ideal body weight and shape, you may have some unwanted pockets of fat that you cannot eliminate even with the best diet and exercise program. That’s when liposuction can come into play and give you the contours you desire. Here are some fast facts about liposuction and why it may be just what you need.
- Liposuction removes unwanted, stubborn fat from a variety of places on the body. The most common places are the hips, abdomen and outside of the thighs, but it’s also an effective way to get rid of fat along the jawline to create a more defined profile, the neck to restore youthfulness, upper arms, back, love handles, waist, buttocks and inner thighs and knees. Some patients can benefit from liposuction at the ankles to slim their appearance.
- Liposuction is not a weight-loss treatment. Ideal patients should be at or near their ideal weight for optimal results. It cannot remove cellulite or treat obesity.
- After the procedure, you will experience swelling, bruising and discomfort for days and even weeks. You may need to wear a compression garment for several weeks to reduce swelling and help with healing.
- You may be able to see results immediately after the procedure, but it will take months for swelling to subside and reveal the final results.
- Results can last for several years. With liposuction, the removed fat cells are gone for good. But once you start gaining weight back, new fat cells will form in other areas of your body and your results will become less noticeable. That’s why it’s important to follow a healthy diet and exercise program after the procedure to maintain your results long-term.
- People who are in good general health and don’t smoke make the best candidates for liposuction. If you have good muscle tone and you have firm, elastic skin, then you would be a good candidate.