Laser Vein Therapy
What is it?
The purpose of this treatment is to reduce the appearance of small unwanted vessels from just beneath surface of the skin. The Cutera ND-Yag, a high powered medical grade laser system is used for these treatments. This laser emits a concentrated beam of light that penetrates this skin and damages or destroys the vessel.
Paul G. Ruff IV,
Personalized, compassionate patient care is the foundation of West End Plastic Surgery's philosophy. Our board-certified surgeon, Dr. Paul G. Ruff IV embraces innovative techniques to ensure our patients get the best treatments available.Meet Dr. Ruff Request a consultation
Pre Treatment Instructions
- Do not apply oil, lotion or powder to the treatment area the night before or the day of your treatment.
- Bring a pair of loose, comfortable shorts to wear during your treatment. Dress in loose clothes and comfortable shoes; wearing heels is not recommended immediately after treatment.
- Discontinue Aspirin (Bufferin, Anacin etc.), Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Aleve etc.), or other blood thinning supplements (Vitamin E, Fish oil, etc.) for 10 days before and 3 days after to reduce bruising. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is allowed.
- Photographs will be taken before your first treatment to document progress. You will not be identified in your photographs and informed consent will be obtained before you are photographed.
Post Treatment Instructions
- Post treatment discomfort may be relieved by acetaminophen or a similar mild analgesic.
- A cold compress or an ice pack can be used after treatment to provide comfort. Apply for about 10 minutes at a time and repeat every few hours if discomfort persists.
- Avoid sun exposure or tanning lights. A broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sun block with an SPF of 30 must be applied 15 minutes prior to casual sun exposure. Reapply every 2 hours or after swimming.
- Aquaphor or similar ointment should be applied to the area to prevent drying and crusting. If crusting develops it should be allowed to fall off naturally (no picking). Contact the office if there is an indication of infection (redness, tenderness, or pus).
- You may shower after the first 24 hours. Hot baths, hot tubs and saunas should be avoided for two weeks after treatment to avoid reopening treated vessels.
- You may drive immediately after your treatment. If your trip home is longer than an hour we recommend you stop hourly to stretch your legs.
- You may return to work and resume normal activity after treatment, unless otherwise instructed by your treatment provider.
- Avoid sitting and standing for extended periods and elevate your leg(s) above the level of your heart when possible for the next two to three days.
- Avoid high impact aerobics, jogging, running, and leg weight lifting for 3-5 days after each treatment.
- Subsequent treatments are usually every four to six weeks. Your treatment provider will inform you when you should return.
We're as thrilled with our patients' results as they are. Check out our before-and-after photo gallery and see for yourself the kind of work our talented surgeons do.