Restylane® & BELOTERO®
What is Restylane
Restylane®, available in Washington, D.C. at West End Plastic Surgery, is a safe, and natural cosmetic dermal filler that enhances the youthfulness of your face by restoring volume and fullness to the skin to correct facial wrinkles, folds, and furrows. It is made of hyaluronic acid, a natural substance that already exists in the human body. The hyaluronic acid contained in Restylane is hydrophilic or “water loving,” meaning that once injected into the face, Restylane maintains its shape by binding to the body’s own moisture. It is this ability to bind with water that helps provide results lasting up to six months. And because Restylane is free from animal proteins, the risk of allergic reactions or the transmission of animal-based disease is limited.
Restylane has been used in more than 1.5 million treatments in over 60 countries. It is only available through a licensed practitioner and has helped hundreds of men and woman restore and rejuvenate their facial features.
Is Restylane® safe?
Since 1996, over 1.5 million Restylane treatments have been safely administered by dermatologists and plastic surgeons in more than 60 countries. Restylane has been approved by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) for use in the United States for the treatment of facial wrinkles. Because Restylane is free from animal proteins, the risk of allergic reactions or the transmission of animal-based disease is limited. And Restylane treatments produce a low occurrence of side effects. The most commonly reported side effects are temporary redness and mild swelling at the injection site. During your initial consultation, a staff member at West End Plastic Surgery will address any safety concerns you have regarding the use of Restylane.
Where can Restylane® be used?
Restylane is currently approved in the United States for treating facial wrinkles and folds, such those that appear from the nose to the corners of the mouth. Dr. Ruff and his staff at West End Plastic Surgery are experts in using Restylane to correct a variety of facial wrinkles and to enhance the appearance of the lip border.
How long does Restylane® last?
The unique hydrophilic nature of Restylane delivers results that generally last for about six months. And, because Restylane binds to the water in your body, its cosmetic effects are maintained until the injected material is nearly gone. Of course, individual results may vary and it is best to discuss your individual case with Dr. Ruff and his staff at West End Plastic Surgery during your initial consultation.
Restylane, a crystal clear gel, is injected directly into the skin in tiny amounts using an ultra-fine needle. The gel fills the skin’s wrinkles and depressions by plumping the skin with water-binding, naturally occurring hyaluronic acid. The doctor may numb the treated area, however, there is minimal discomfort during or after the procedure. The procedure is simple and convenient and results are practically instantaneous.
Restylane treatments produce a low occurrence of side effects. The most commonly reported side effects are temporary redness and mild swelling at the injection site. Both the redness and the swelling generally disappear within seven days of your treatment.
Restylane® Pre Treatment Instructions:
- Prior to your Restylane treatment please make sure you have not been taking aspirin, ibuprofen, or any other blood thinning medication or supplement for 5-7 days.
- Please come to your appointment with clean skin, free of any make-up or lotions/creams.
- If you have a history of facial cold sores, please inform your provider about medications that may be taken to minimize risk of reoccurrence.
Restylane®Post treatment Instructions:
- A temporary amount of mild-moderate swelling and redness at the injection site can be expected immediately after treatment. This is a normal occurrence and will reduce over the next few days. Cold compresses or ice packs may be applied to the area as needed for comfort.
- Bruising at the injection site is a commonly reported side effect. The extent and duration of bruising can be decreased by applying cold compresses and using a topical arnica gel within the first 24 hours after treatment.
- It is normal to experience some tenderness at treatment site for a few days.
- The injection site may be gently washed a few hours after treatment. Please avoid aggressive scrubbing, rubbing, or exfoliation until swelling and redness subsides.
- Makeup may be applied shortly after treatment unless otherwise noted by treatment provider. Please make sure to apply gently over treatment site.
- Avoid exercise or alcohol for 6 hours after treatment.
- Do not have laser, microdermabrasion, chemical peel, or any other aggressive treatments over treatment site for a minimum of 2 weeks.
- It is not uncommon to feel irregularities or undulations under the skin when pressing on the treated area, please do not massage unless otherwise directed by your provider.
- Sunbathing or excessive UV exposure should be avoided until the redness and swelling has subsided.
BELOTERO BALANCE® is a dermal filler specially designed to integrate into your skin and mold to your distinct facial contours. By adapting to the individuality of your skin, it softens lines and wrinkles around the nose and mouth for smooth and natural results that are uniquely you.
BELOTERO BALANCE® has unique properties that allow it to adapt within the skin for soft and even correction. The versatility of the product makes it strong enough to handle deep treatment areas such as nasolabial folds (smile lines around the mouth), yet soft enough to treat more delicate areas such as vertical lip lines (thin lines that appear above the lip line).
BELOTERO BALANCE® is made of a material called hyaluronic acid (HA), which naturally exists as a component of your skin. By binding to water, it fills in wrinkles and folds, allowing immediate and smooth correction.